httpd-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] same rewrite for several vhosts on 404 errors
Date Mon, 26 Oct 2009 13:44:19 GMT
Luis Fernando wrote:
> Hello guys.
>
> I use apache2 on debian and i have several vhosts in
> /etc/apache2/sites-available, included by /etc/apache/apache2.conf.

Not really : what is really included, are the files present in
/etc/apache2/sites-enabled.  These are symlinks to the files that are in
/etc/apache2/sites-available, but you can have files in
/etc/apache2/sites-available, which are not really used right now.
Have a good look at the "a2ensite" command and what it does.
That is one of the nicest things of the Apache2 configuration process in
Debian.

> Well, i need to redirect requests to all vhosts's non existing documents
> to a specific page.
>
> I already know the needed rule. What i need to know is where to put it,
> because i don't wanna configure it for each vhost.
>
> Is there a way to do it?

It would probably be cleaner if you repeated it in each VirtualHost.
You can do this via an "Include" also, so it is only one configuration file.

There is another way, but in my view it is more confusing and dangerous,
because when you look at a VHost configuration, you will not see it, and
forget that it happens :

In the principle, anything which you put (or include) in the "main"
configuration part, is "inherited" by all VirtualHosts, unless they
redefine the same parameter themselves.
When I say "main" configuration, it means everything that ultimately
becomes part of the entire configuration, but is not between
<VirtualHost>..</VirtualHost> tags.  That includes apache2.conf, but
also all files which are Include-d in it at startup time.