httpd-users mailing list archives

From Patrick Horgan <phorg...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Mod_Rewrite voodoo
Date Thu, 07 Jan 2010 18:08:49 GMT
Reese wrote:

> RewriteEngine On
This says, that I want part of the job of httpd is to do rewrites from
this instant until the server is stopped.  It's as if a part of httpd is
just sitting there, able to do rewrites, but the switch for it is turned
off to save power if it's not going to be used.
> RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} subdomain\.domain\.ext
This says under which conditions I'm going to be wanting the rewriting
to be done.
> RewriteRule (.*)(0[5-6]).html$ /20$2/$1$2.html [R=301,L]
This says what rewriting to do.
> RewriteEngine Off
This says never mind, I didn't mean to hit the switch, let me turn it
back off and turn off the rewriting engine so no rewriting will be done
as httpd does it's job.

Patrick