httpd-users mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.2 optimization -> Three tips
Date Mon, 22 Mar 2010 11:37:28 GMT

On 22 Mar 2010, at 08:34, Geoff Millikan wrote:

> Here's three things I wish I had read about Apache optimization that are not
> commonly discussed (we found out by years of trial and error).

Thanks for sharing!

> 1. Set your KeepAliveTimeout to 3 seconds or less.

+1.  Isn't that documented?  I'm surprised!

> 2. Turn off atime "accesss time" by using noatime.

Interesting!  Do you have any insights into how this varies with filesystem
and operating system/hardware behaviour?  If this comes close to the
difference made by .htaccess, I'd be looking at what lies beneath.

> 3. Increase your StartServers to the number of maximum requests on your
> biggest page.

I'm with wrowe on this one: what you're getting is coincidence if anything.
Your clients should be using keepalive for objects on a page.
Furthermore, what you describe appears to assume prefork MPM,
which is unlikely to be the best solution where performance is an issue.

> Money and premature optimization is the root of all evil.

:-)

--
Nick Kew