httpd-users mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Locked Apache configuration file
Date Sat, 20 Mar 2010 17:24:52 GMT
On 3/20/2010 11:52 AM, Marc Buyens wrote:
> Hello. Many thanks for this. I am new to W7 and wasn't aware of this.
> This is clearly one more Bill Gates quirk. What's the use of assigning
> administrator rights to users if they are not used? Anyway, you solved
> my problem. Explicitly asking to run as administrator allows me to
> change the file. It is a bit like confirming that I am still alive
> before editing the file. Some form of technology progress, I assume, but
> not a progress of human logic...

The 'workaround' would be for the installer to set up the shortcuts as 'requires
administrator privilege' - no password, no notepad.

But that's really a hack.  Instead I'm just looking towards moving volatile,
configuration things out of c:/Program Files/ into - well that's where I'm
stuck.  There's no /etc/ or /var/ on win32 ;-)