httpd-users mailing list archives

From Matt Easton <matthewjeas...@gmail.com>
Subject [users@httpd] How to serve pages from a hidden secondary server
Date Thu, 10 Jun 2010 13:56:53 GMT
Hello there,

I've just joined this group as I'm trying more complicated things now than I've done before
in Apache! Please let me know if I'm not doing anything right. Thanks for your time.

I have two computers on a home network, let's call them server1 and server2. They are both
running an Apache server on port 80.

server1 hosts my main external web pages, so my router routes http://home.domain.com to http://server1
(both on port 80)
server2 hosts some private pages, testing, sharing resources etc for my home network.

All is fine, except I now have some pages from server2 that I want to make available outside
of my home network. These are in a folder on the main site, i.e. http://server2/folder1

Ideally, I want this to be done in such a way that it is hidden from the user that they are
in fact accessing a different server.
Ideally I want them to go to http://home.domain.com/folder2 and actually be seeing http://server2/folder1

I have tried doing this with mod_rewrite and failed. Is it possible to reference a different
server with mod_rewrite, or can this only be used for files on the same machine?

At the moment I have managed to serve the pages, by telling my router to forward port 8081
to server2:80. Hence, if I go to http://home.domain.com:8081/folder1 then I get the pages
that I want. I have set up a Redirect directive on server1 so that http://home.domain.com/folder2
redirects to http://home.domain.com:8081/folder1, so I can get to the pages using the correct
URI, but it doesn't stay in the address bar - it is redirected to the other port.

It is further complicated because the data I want to serve includes streaming media, and this
doesn't seem to cope with the 8081 port.

I've been interested in the "mingle" emails today using proxies, but I can't get this to work
either.

Both machines are running Ubuntu.
server1: Ubuntu Karmic Koala 9.10 | Linux 2.6.31-22-generic | Apache/2.2.12 (Ubuntu)
server2: Ubuntu Lucid Lynx 10.04 LTS | Linux 2.6.32-22-generic | Apache/2.2.14 (Ubuntu)

Many thanks, and please let me know if I've missed out any vital information!
Cheers,
matt