httpd-users mailing list archives

From Tom Evans <tevans...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] rewrite rule tutorial on ask apache I could not understand syntax
Date Tue, 15 Jun 2010 13:39:11 GMT
On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 2:19 PM, Eric Covener <covener@gmail.com> wrote:
> Who can guess if that silly page meant either of these subtle issues
> with the recipe:
>
> *) ".+" in .htaccess won't match a request for "/", but I doubt that's
> the operative part of the exercise.
> *) You Should not redirect if HTTP_HOST is empty, for HTTP/1.0
> clients, or you might loop.
>
> --
> Eric Covener
> covener@gmail.com

Hi Eric

wrt your second point, it's been my understanding that if you are
using name based virtual hosting, then HTTP/1.0 clients will always be
directed to the first virtual host, and so it is fine to not check for
empty HTTP_HOST in name based virtual hosts, when canonicalizing the
host name. Is this accurate?

Cheers

Tom