httpd-users mailing list archives

From Wayne Densmore <waynedensm...@gmail.com>
Subject [users@httpd] mod_autoindex troubles
Date Sat, 21 Aug 2010 14:25:31 GMT
It seems that mod_autoindex's directory listing and the custom header
and footer files are separate streams that are not sequenced/handled
correctly in all circumstances.  Here are details of 2 failure modes.

Apache /version: Apache/2.2.11
/Using dreamhost for hosting.

.htaccess includes:
> AddHandler php5-cgi .html
> AddType text/html .html
> HeaderName test_doc_header.html
The test header is a simple header with a H1 header, almost like the
default.

Accessing a directory with no index.html caused the server to serve up
the custom header correctly and some garbage for the file listing.
Disabling mod_deflate (done by the admin, on my domain) fixed it so that
both came out right.  It appeared the header was compressed and the file
listing was not, so decompressing gave garbage.

Failure mode 2: same setup, but with mod_deflate disabled.  Added a
ReadmeName with a test footer.  The sequence of display in the browser
now was header, footer, file listing.  Sample is at
www.cmcboulder.org/doc2_test/ .

I did confirm that the header and footer were php processed by adding
some simple php code to them.

This seems like an apache bug to me, but wanted to pass it by this group
first.  Any thoughts? To me it seems that the output of the
mod_autoindex directory listing and the header/footer stuff is some a
separate stream and being buffered to the end.  When php as a cgi is
used on the header/footer that is.  This entire setup has worked for
years before the hosting forced us off of php as a mod and to a newer
apache version.