httpd-users mailing list archives

From Igor Galić <i.ga...@brainsware.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] disable wget-like user-agents
Date Wed, 05 Jan 2011 13:42:37 GMT

----- "Mark Montague" <mark@catseye.org> wrote:

> On January 4, 2011 22:32 , Carlos S <neubyr@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Recently I was trying to download a package using wget, but the
> > website prevented access to it. I tried --user-agent  option but it
> > didn't work either. So I was curious to know what strategy this web
> > admin must have implemented.
>
> Without an example URL, I can only speculate, but the ideas that come
> mind first are denying the download unless a cookie is set (you could

i.galic@panic ~ % wget --help | grep cook
       --no-cookies            don’t use cookies.
       --load-cookies=FILE     load cookies from FILE before session.
       --save-cookies=FILE     save cookies to FILE after session.
       --keep-session-cookies  load and save session (non-permanent) cookies.
i.galic@panic ~ %

> get quite complex with this, such as setting the cookie via
> JavaScript,

Yup.. that (JS) would kill off wget.. but also many other (sensible) clients

> which wget won't execute), checking the referrer header, or other

i.galic@panic ~ % wget --help | grep -i referer
       --referer=URL           include ‘Referer: URL’ header in HTTP request.
i.galic@panic ~ %

> JavaScript based checks.

>    Mark Montague
>    mark@catseye.org