httpd-users mailing list archives

From Igor Galić <i.ga...@brainsware.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Help with cache tuning
Date Thu, 03 Feb 2011 21:26:29 GMT

----- "--[ UxBoD ]--" <uxbod@splatnix.net> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have been trying to tune my Apache vhost config and hoping for some
> help to critique, flame and slap me with a wet fish for being so
> silly. So this is my config so far:
>
> <VirtualHost *:80>
>     ServerAdmin webmaster@somedomain.com
>     DocumentRoot "/www/somedomain.com"
>     <Directory /www/somedomain.com>
>         AllowOverride All
>
>        <FilesMatch "\.(jp?g|gif|png|js|css|ico)$">
>            Header unset Etag
(This seems paranoid)

>            FileETag None

(When you already have this... To me it would make sense on a proxy only.)

>            Header set Cache-control "public, max-age=604800"

Just one week?

>        </FilesMatch>
>
>        ExpiresActive On
>
>        ExpiresDefault "access plus 1 month"

And here you have a default of one month that doesn't fit together..

>        ExpiresByType text/html "access plus 30 minutes"

now.. this is probably silly... Your content isn't *that* dynamic ;)

>        ExpiresByType text/css "access plus 2 weeks"
>        ExpiresByType text/javascript "access plus 2 weeks"

And so is this and

>        ExpiresByType image/png "access plus 1 month"
>        ExpiresByType image/gif "access plus 1 month"
>        ExpiresByType image/jpg "access plus 1 month"

and this, again... you made this a default, remember?

My suggestion is: Set the Expires for CSS, JS and Images to be something like 30 years.
When you actually have a new version, upload it under a new name.

For covering a good 80% of yslow, take a look at:
http://omniti.com/seeds/fast-by-default

for covering the other 20% see:
http://lethargy.org/~jesus/writes/web-performance-boot-camp

>     </Directory>
>
>     ServerName www.somedomain.com
>     ServerAlias somedomain.com
>
>     AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/html text/css text/xml
> application/x-javascript application/javascript application/xml
>
>     # Deactivate compression for buggy browsers
>     BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4 gzip-only-text/html
>     BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4\.0[678] no-gzip
>     BrowserMatch \bMSIE !no-gzip !gzip-only-text/html
>
>     DeflateCompressionLevel 6
>
>     # Set header information for proxies
>     Header append Vary User-Agent
>
>     ErrorLog "logs/www.somedomain.com-error.log"
>     CustomLog "logs/www.somedomain.com-access.log" common
> </VirtualHost>
>
> When I check with Chrome or Firefox I get messages about:
>
> "The following cacheable resources have a short freshness lifetime"
> "Consider adding a "Cache-Control: public" header to the following
> resources"
>
> Yet I though from the above config I had added those.  I am using
> mod_deflate and mod_pagespeed which appear to be doing quite a good
> job but I feel my lack of Apache core workings is really letting
> performance down.
>
> Any help from the experienced community would be very much appreciated
> by a n00b.
> --
> Thanks, Phil

Igor Galić