httpd-users mailing list archives

From "J. Stephens" <onlineworkm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] 403 error on Default Directory
Date Sun, 01 May 2011 21:13:42 GMT
I know I should add the root directory due to security, but I am getting this error.

website error.log:

Thu Mar 24 19:23:05 2011] [error] [client 98.226.168.246] client denied by server configuration:
/

I guess I need to be asking why it needs access to the root of the computer and not just the
website directory.

On Apr 30, 2011, at 9:56 PM, Yehuda Katz wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 11:00 AM, J. Stephens <onlineworkmail@gmail.com> wrote:
> The solution to the problem was that I needed to add  a <Directory/> to the vhost.
I do not know why it would need the root directory, but as long as it is fixed then I do not
care. Would this cause any security risks or is it fine to add this directory?

> I would not recommend doing that. You should add permissions for as few directories as
possible.
> If it only works when you add the root directory, then you have some other problem and
you should probably try to find out what it is.