httpd-users mailing list archives

From Yehuda Katz <yeh...@ymkatz.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Help to identify the files in the source code
Date Thu, 05 May 2011 22:05:47 GMT
On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 10:19 AM, siraj p s <sirajerna@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you Eric ...We were able to successfully implement our idea..Can this
> idea be utilised for preventing ipv4 address exhaustion?

*No.*
*I hate to be so blunt about it, but a standard httpd installation* will run
an (virtually) unlimited number of sites from a single server (including SSL
using SNI).
As Eric mentioned, (unless there is something REALLY innovative, which I
don't see in your original email) Apache already has what you are trying to
do (frontend proxy to arbitrary backend servers) built in (mod_rewrite and
the proxy flag).
The reasons that a server might need more than one IP address:
- SSL compatibility with older browsers that don't support SNI.
- Other services that do not support virtual hosts (but that does not belong
on the httpd users list).