httpd-users mailing list archives

From "J. Stephens" <onlineworkm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] 403 error on Default Directory
Date Fri, 29 Apr 2011 15:00:34 GMT
The solution to the problem was that I needed to add  a <Directory/> to the vhost. I
do not know why it would need the root directory, but as long as it is fixed then I do not
care. Would this cause any security risks or is it fine to add this directory?

BTW: Thank you for your responses it has helped a bunch.
On Apr 28, 2011, at 10:30 PM, Yehuda Katz wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 1:53 PM, J. Stephens <onlineworkmail@gmail.com> wrote:
> error log says "[Thu Apr 28 13:50:57 2011] [error] [client 98.226.168.246] client denied
by server configuration: /"
> my website is at /var/www/testing600.remcycle.net/. Should it be saying that directory
and not the root directory?
>> On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 10:37 AM, J. Stephens <onlineworkmail@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I am getting 403 errors when I add a new vhost. at testing601.remcycle.net I get
403, but at testing601.remcycle.net/index.html it works. What are the possible causes of this
403 error?

> All it is telling you is the configuration that is being inherited from a config for
/.

> The closest thing I have to Debian Squeeze is Ubuntu Lucid Lynx (10.04). It has this
comment in "/etc/apache2/conf.d/security":
> # Disable access to the entire file system except for the directories that
> # are explicitly allowed later.
> #
> # This currently breaks the configurations that come with some web application
> # Debian packages. It will be made the default for the release after lenny.
> #
> #<Directory />
> #       AllowOverride None
> #       Order Deny,Allow
> #       Deny from all
> #</Directory>
>
> Since Squeeze is after Lenny, this might mean that a good place to start looking for
your problem is wherever you have your <Directory /var/www/testing600.remcycle.net/>
directive.