httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Geoff Millikan" <gmilli...@t1shopper.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Special configuration for requests that do not match any particular virtual host? Apache 2.2
Date Thu, 02 Jun 2011 13:40:22 GMT
> Not sure what you mean by crash...

If I put "ServerAlias *" into httpd.conf and try to restart Apache, it will not start.  There's
no error log as to why it will not
start.

Agreed.  However it was said:

> You can't make the catch-all vhost also be a reachable name-based
> vhost, with those rewrite rules.  Create an addl one solely
> for that purpose.

In order to have a "catch all" vhost that redirects all hostnames to another vhost we must
capture everything with a ServerAlias.
There's no other way.

Why is this needed?  As you know, Google will consider delisting you if you have two domains
serving up the exact same content.
They consider it spamming the 'net.

It's easy for this to happen accidentally - for us we created an A Record for performance.mydomain.com
and pointed it to our
production web host IP address for some testing.  Google somehow found it and reindexed our
whole site on that domain name.
Essentially Google had two copies of our site in the search results. Ugh.

Upon further inspection, we found there were other A Records which were showing duplicate
content because of wildcards in place like
*.mycompany.com or just because we forgot to remove them.  With several hundred domain names,
and a httpd.conf file several thousand
lines long, it's easy to lose track.

In other words, the "catch all" vhost is needed when an unknown number of hostnames are pointing
at a server and it's desired that
they all resolve successfully yet redirect to the proper domain name so there's no duplicate
content issues.