httpd-users mailing list archives

From Xavier Noria <...@hashref.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] mod_deflate and chunked encoding
Date Sun, 05 Jun 2011 21:40:54 GMT
On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 11:36 PM, Eric Covener <covener@gmail.com> wrote:

>> If Passenger has to dechunk, and we want a chunked compressed
>> response, and Apache is the one responsible for doing that, how should
>> we signal Apache that we want compression and streaming for that
>> particular response.
>
> This is the main path of just configuring mod_deflate.  Nothing else
> required.  Only passenger cares how passenger decided what the content
> of the response was, to everyone else it's just buckets of data.
>
> "Streaming" just means the module that generates the content of the
> response routinely hands some data off to Apache to send off to the
> client rather then e.g. waiting until it's 100% done.  It's also not
> something you need to configure.

But there has to be something else, because in streaming I want a
chunked response that should start sending chunks to the client as
soon as possible.

If the back server sent just 200 bytes in the first chunk, I want
those 200 bytes compressed and forwarded to the client exactly now. In
particular there's no Content-Length computed.