httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jeroen Geilman <jer...@adaptr.nl>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Could Apache login support CAPTCHA and lockout?
Date Thu, 06 Oct 2011 20:54:20 GMT
On 2011-10-04 14:44, Neal Rhodes wrote:
> We have bunches of web applications which use the regular Apache login
> protection,

Do you mean HTTP Basic Auth, as defined in RFC 2616 ?

> and they won't run unless REMOTE_USER is set by the Apache login.
>
>     <Limit GET>
>     require valid-user
>     </Limit>
>
>     <Limit POST PUT DELETE>
>     require valid-user
>     </Limit>
>
>     AuthName O-Visitor
>     AuthUserFile /usr/appl/cgi/.htpasswd
>
>     AuthType Basic

Yes, this is HTTP Basic AUTH.
It says so right there.

> Looking at improving security, it would seem that it would be much
> harder to conduct brute-force attacks on these systems if we could
> configure Apache login to do two things:

You can't.
There is no "login", just an Authorization: header which has to be sent
for every page that requires it.

>     A. Present the CAPTCHA style validation prompt as part of the
>     login, to make it difficult for scripted attacks to proceed;
>     B. Lockout an individual username in the .htpasswd file after X
>     failed login attempts.

Actual login-ness (a state of logged in being different from a state of
not being logged in) must be achieved through non-HTTP means, possibly
supported by HTTP features such as cookies.

--
J.