httpd-users mailing list archives

From Mark Montague <m...@catseye.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.2.3 Session tracking with mod_session produces load error on module load
Date Mon, 24 Oct 2011 15:19:46 GMT
On October 24, 2011 10:44 , "Pranesh Vadhirajan"
<vadhirajan@teralogics.com> wrote:

> I am trying to use the mod_session module.  Since mod_session is built
> into Apache for versions 2.3 or later, in order for me to use it on
> our Apache 2.2.3 server, I tried to build it from source. [...] I'm
> getting the following error:
>
> error: httpd: Syntax error on line 217 of /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf:
> Cannot load /usr/lib64/httpd/modules/mod_session.so into server:
> /usr/lib64/httpd/modules/mod_session.so: undefined symbol:
> session_module.
>
> I don't know if there is a library that I'm supposed to load before I
> load this module. If you know the cause of this error, or if there is
> a better way to gather session information on Apache 2.2.3 please let
> me know.

(By the way, if Nick or another big Apache HTTP Server developer says
you don't need to worry about the things I describe below, believe him
and not me.)

The Apache HTTP Server API has changed substantially between 2.2 and 2.3
(2.4).  Because of this, in general, I would not expect modules written
for 2.3/2.4 to work with 2.2.  You might get lucky, but if you want to
run mod_session in a production environment, would you be comfortable
gambling on this, even if you get the module to compile, load, and it
appear to work for the cases you test?

If you are comfortable developing modules and would like to backport
mod_session from 2.3 to 2.2, a list of the API changes is available at

https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.3/developer/new_api_2_4.html

The above document describes what is needed to port a module forward
from 2.2 to 2.4.  You'd need to reverse everything described in order to
back-port modules from 2.3 to 2.2.

In addition to mod_session, you may also need at least one of
mod_session_crypto, mod_session_cookie, or mod_session_dbd.  See the
documentation (3rd paragraph) at
https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.3/mod/mod_session.html

2.4 is close enough to being released that you might want to consider
upgrading to 2.3 now instead of trying to get a 2.3 module to work with
2.2.  I've been running 2.3 since 2.3.5-beta and have been happy with
it; 2.3.14-beta is the current release.

--
   Mark Montague
   mark@catseye.org