httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Clinton J. Campbell" <clinton.campb...@gmail.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Apache modifies URL when offloading SSL
Date Fri, 29 Jun 2012 03:28:22 GMT
I've been searching archives and other forums, and though I've found others who have asked
similar questions, I haven't found a solution yet.

I currently have an Apache server that sits behind a Squid Reverse Proxy. The Apache server
runs two virtual hosts, a Joomla website and a WebDav directory for file sharing with customers.
The Squid proxy serves several functions, including enforcing the requirement that any sensitive
pages are served to the user over SSL.

When running unencrypted, everything works fine. Squid forwards the request to Apache and
the response to the user. However, when the user tries to connect via SSL, things start to
fall apart behind the scenes. I'll illustrate with a typical scenario:

- user enters https://www.mydomain.com/administrator to access Joomla administration page
- connection succeeds and user is presented with login page
- user enters credentials and submits
- apache changes the url to http://www.mydomain.com/administrator/...
- connection fails

In some cases, I can manually change the URL back and proceed to access most parts of the
site.  Some functionality remains broken.  Moreover, this problem completely breaks WebDav
access on Windows clients.

I've tried a variety of configurations on the proxy to work around or avoid the problem; however,
I've had no luck. The optimal solution would be to find a way to keep Apache from rewriting
the URL, but I've not been able to track down a configuration that accomplishes this.  Any
suggestions?

Thanks in advance!