httpd-users mailing list archives

From Chris Datfung <chris.datf...@gmail.com>
Subject [users@httpd] forward proxy with SSL Termination
Date Fri, 11 Jan 2013 09:37:44 GMT
Hi all,

I'm trying to setup a forward proxy that will terminate SSL connections.
The idea is that Apache will sit between my internal network and the
internet and proxy / inspect all HTTP/HTTPS traffic. I configured mod_proxy
as a forward proxy and set my browser to proxy via my Apache instance. HTTP
proxying worked properly but HTTPS only saw CONNECT requests and I was
unable to inspect the actual requests/responses for encrypted traffic. I
then setup a transparent forward proxy using iptables and reversed my
browsers proxy settings, but now the requests are not formatted properly
for the proxy (i.e. Apache sees GET / HTTP/1.1 instead of GET
http://target.com/ HTTP/1.1). I tried rewriting the requests using
mod_rewrite as follows but that did not work:

RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME}       !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME}       !-d
RewriteRule ^/(.*) http://%{HTTP_HOST}/$1 [P]

How can I configure Apache to forward proxy requests while terminating SSL
connections for inspection and then reencrypt the traffic?

Thanks,

Chris