httpd-users mailing list archives

From Giles Coochey <gi...@coochey.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] apache mod_proxy_balancer is not redirecting user request evenly to bakcend tomcat servers.
Date Wed, 13 Feb 2013 11:48:20 GMT
On 12/02/2013 07:06, Amol Puglia wrote:
> Hello Giles,
>
> You mean we should disable stickyness option to distribute load evenly
> on all tomcats.
>
> Is there any other way to distribute load evenly on the servers
> without disabling stickyness option in apache configuration?

Stickyness is, in general, needed - so that each user who accesses the
site tends to use the same backend server - otherwise you might find
that users are, for instance, redirected to a logon page when they click
a link within the application. This is because that user only
established the session with one of the backend servers. There are
various methods on how to achieve that stickness and you will have to
take a look at how your backend application works to find out what might
give you the best load balancing results.

Because of this stickyness though, you will never get exact 50/50 or
33/34/33 load balancing, but as you increase the number of users the
statistical even-ness of your load balancing ought to level out.

--
Regards,

Giles Coochey, CCNA, CCNAS
NetSecSpec Ltd