httpd-users mailing list archives

From Rainer Jung <rainer.j...@kippdata.de>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Slow performance in Apache
Date Mon, 25 Aug 2014 18:25:16 GMT
Am 25.08.2014 um 19:33 schrieb Frederik Nosi:
> Hi,
> On 08/19/2014 01:49 PM, Jeff Trawick wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 6:00 AM, <pratibha.dhankhar@wipro.com
>> <mailto:pratibha.dhankhar@wipro.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     Hi All,
>>
>>     Need urgent help from all you experts. We have a tomcat and apache
>>     server on same physical box .Earlier it was working fine however
>>     last week application is integrated with IDAM, since then whenever
>>     user is accessing the link through IDAM application is responding
>>     either very slow or not at all, Once apache is restarted ,again it
>>     start working and after 3-4 hours again same issue occurs. Please
>>     suggest.
>>
>>     Have done some tuning at apache end as well like
>>
>>     Timeout 120
>>
>>     KeepAlive Off
>>
>>     MaxKeepAliveRequests 100
>>
>>     KeepAliveTimeout 15
>>
>>     Still not working.
>>

>> See if there is a buildup over time of connections between httpd and
>> Tomcat.  netstat and mod_status with ExtendedStatus On would make this
>> relatively easy.  (mod_status won't show explicitly that the request
>> is handled by Tomcat, but you can check requests stuck in W state to
>> see if the URL is handled by Tomcat.)
>>

> Out of curiosity, on the summary page generated by mod_status, the
> description of W is:
>
> "*|W|*" Sending Reply
>
> I thought that when in this state, the corresponding thread / proccess
> was sending the reply to the client. From your reply if i understood
> correctly seems that when using mod_proxy (and mod_jk right?) the W
> state includes the time spent on sending the request and geting a reply
> from the origin.
>
> Is this right?

Yes, "W" is everything between having read the request and logging the
request after having send the response. So especially it includes
forwarding in proxy or mod_jk and waiting/reading the response from the
origin server.

You should add response duration logging to the httpd server access log
(%D) and to the origin server log file, if you want to track the
performance of the latter. mod_jk allows you to additionally log origin
server response times as observed by the httpd web server in the httpd
access log.

Regards,

Rainer