httpd-users mailing list archives

From Colin Campbell <Colin.Campb...@asidua.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Perl Logging
Date Mon, 16 Feb 2015 15:25:44 GMT
Hi Pete,

Thanks for the reply.  I looked into it and have found the correct package to install on Debian
apache2-mpm-prefork.  I checked the old server and it was using the prefork mpm as well.
It was also pointed out that version of apache is 3 years old.  I attempted to build from
source but didn't get very far so abandoned that idea.  It's behaving as I'm used to now and
as it's for a development box that will see small amounts of traffic I think it will do what
I need it to.  Thanks for your help.

Regards

Colin

-----Original Message-----
From: Pete Houston [mailto:ph1@openstrike.co.uk]
Sent: 16 February 2015 11:45
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Perl Logging

Hello Colin,

On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 10:54:22AM +0000, Colin Campbell wrote:
> I have upgraded to Apache 2.2.22 on a Debian 7 VM. I have just
> installed it using apt-get and not made any config changes except to
> add my VirtualHost

[...]
> The behavior I was used to was that any Perl errors or warns appeared in the error log
specified in the virtual host. The behavior I'm now getting is that the Perl errors go to
the common Apache log in /var/log/apache2 directory and the virtual host log just contains
"Premature end of script headers".

The behaviour you are describing is the standard behaviour with mod_cgid. My guess is that
when you performed the upgrade you moved from a prefork MPM to a threaded MPM and therefore
by default from mod_cgi to mod_cgid.

There is not, to my knowledge, any simple way of over-riding this logging behaviour within
mod_cgid. However, the benefits of a threaded MPM often outweigh this drawback. If you decide
that you would prefer to return to a prefork MPM you should check with your distro as to the
recommended way to achieve that. I do not use Debian 7 so cannot advise on that score.

Good luck,

Pete
--
Openstrike - improving business through open source http://www.openstrike.co.uk/ or call 01722