httpd-users mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache and Wordpress file permissions options
Date Tue, 11 Aug 2015 16:31:04 GMT

On 08/11/2015 11:22 AM, Rose, John B wrote:
> Any recommendations on the best method to accomplish individual users
> Wordpress installations maintaining their owner:group instead of
> changing to the owner:group of the Apache process?
>
> Not a Wordpress multi-user installation. Each user installs their own
> Wordpress.
>
> Looking at the Wordpress site …
>
> https://codex.wordpress.org/Changing_File_Permissions
>
> Any pros/cons regarding these Apache modules?
>
>   * suPHP <http://www.suphp.org/Home.html>, runs through php-cgi,
>     currently unmaintained since 2013.
>   * mod_ruid2 <https://github.com/mind04/mod-ruid2>, apache module,
>     simple but effective.
>   * mpm-itk <http://mpm-itk.sesse.net/>, apache module.

These first three are all essentially unmaintained.

>   * PHP-FPM <http://php-fpm.org/>, a FastCGI server with more extensive
>     configuration.

This is the one.

I know that the PHP docs don't yet say that this is the preferred way to
run PHP on Apache httpd - that has been on my ToDo list for quite a
while now - but it *is* the preferred way to run PHP on Apache httpd,
for all of the reasons - security, performance, ease of configuration,
and so on.

So, yeah, we need the docs to catch up with reality. I promise, it's on
my ToDo list.

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon