httpd-users mailing list archives

From Frederik Nosi <frederik.n...@postecom.it>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] SVN checkout of latest official Apache release
Date Thu, 09 Jun 2016 22:28:09 GMT
Hi Christopher,

> Mike,
>
> On 6/8/16 12:10 PM, Mike Rumph wrote:
>> On 6/7/2016 5:54 PM, Balcos, Michael wrote:
>>> Hi Mike,
>>>

>>> Thank you for the reply. I believe that I’ll have to write a
>>> script in order to know what is the latest official release of
>>> Apache 2.2 under
>>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/httpd/tags , and then do a
>>> svn checkout on the said release. I need to automatically get the
>>> latest official release of Apache 2.2 (and 2.4). I will proceed
>>> to write the script with the information you’ve given. Thanks
>>> again. J
>>>

>> Hello Michael,
>>
>> Forgot to mention the obvious. The easiest way to know the latest
>> official release version numbers is from the Apache HTTP Server
>> project home page:  http://httpd.apache.org/
> I think Michael was hoping for an "always current" URL he could hit, lik
> e:
>
> $ svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/httpd/tags/2.2.x-latest
>
> A redirect that sent that to
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/httpd/tags/2.2.31 would be kind
> of nice.
>
> That would allow an automated script to always pull the latest
> version, rather than having to screen-scrape the project home page.

This reminded me of how it was handled on linux's kernel website, using
finger. Though now it doees not work anymore:

$ finger @kernel.org
[kernel.org]
finger: connect: Connection timed out
$

Anyway, they have this at least for this kind of stuff:

$ curl -s --silent  https://www.kernel.org/finger_banner
The latest mainline version of the Linux kernel is:           4.7-rc2
The latest stable 4.6 version of the Linux kernel is:         4.6.2
The latest stable 4.5 version of the Linux kernel is:         4.5.7
The latest longterm 4.4 version of the Linux kernel is:       4.4.13
The latest longterm 4.1 version of the Linux kernel is:       4.1.26
The latest longterm 3.18 version of the Linux kernel is:      3.18.35
The latest longterm 3.16 version of the Linux kernel is:      3.16.35
The latest longterm 3.14 version of the Linux kernel is:      3.14.72
The latest longterm 3.12 version of the Linux kernel is:      3.12.60
The latest longterm 3.10 version of the Linux kernel is:      3.10.101
The latest longterm 3.4 version of the Linux kernel is:       3.4.112
The latest longterm 3.2 version of the Linux kernel is:       3.2.80
The latest linux-next version of the Linux kernel is:         next-20160609
$

On apache a quick / dirty and probably buggy way can be:

$ lynx -dump httpd.apache.org | grep Released | awk '{ print $3 }'
2.4.20
2.2.31
$

But then you have to choose a mirror anyway.

Checking svn tags:

$ curl -sq http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/httpd/tags/ | grep
"href=\"2.4" | cut -d\" -f2 | sort -t . -k3 -n
2.4.0/
2.4.1/
2.4.2/
2.4.3/
2.4.4/
2.4.5/
2.4.6/
2.4.7/
2.4.8/
2.4.9/
2.4.10/
2.4.11/
2.4.12/
2.4.13/
2.4.14/
2.4.15/
2.4.16/
2.4.17/
2.4.18/
2.4.19/
2.4.20/
$

But i dont think this a good idea.

Just digresssing, but IMHO something like this can be handy.