httpd-users mailing list archives

From Nicholas Williams <nicho...@nicholaswilliams.net>
Subject [users@httpd] HTTPD asking for password after power failure
Date Sat, 16 Jul 2016 10:47:36 GMT
I have a server running OpenSUSE 42.1 with stock Apache HTTPD 2 installed from the package
manager. It has been running without issue for well over a year. We've restarted the service
and the server since then without issue. The service always starts  on its own when the server
boots.

Last night we had a power failure. The sever came up fine. All services, including MySQL,
started fine. No obvious issues appear anywhere. But HTTPD didn't start automatically. So
I logged in to the server to investigate and try to start it.

`service apache2 status` said FAILED with no details. `/var/log/apache2/error_log` showed
nothing since the day before the power failure.

`service apache2 start` hung for about 2 minutes, and then said FAILED with no details. `/var/log/apache2/error_log`
still showed nothing since the day before the power failure. There was nothing in the system
log since my log-in to the server.

So I tried `strace -Ff service apache2 start`. The only thing I see suspicious is it calls
open on `/run/systemd/ask-password-block`. It appears it times out after never receiving a
password. But I have no idea why it would do that. None of my SSL certificates have passphrases,
and I've always been able to start HTTPD without a password.

I'm at a loss here. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Nick