httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Houser, Rick" <rick.hou...@jackson.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] SSL Certificate Validation
Date Thu, 08 Feb 2018 16:46:55 GMT
In addition to fixing your certificate, you may have a reason to make sure the host header
they send is correct.  If they are reaching you via an alternate hostname or something that’s
getting them to the correct IP, but shouldn’t be supported for your service, stopping them
from doing that might take aware the incentive they see to disabling the hostname verification
in the first place.

Rick Houser
Web Engineer

From: Eric Covener [mailto:covener@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 08, 2018 11:19
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] SSL Certificate Validation

EXTERNAL EMAIL

On Thu, Feb 8, 2018 at 7:36 AM, Belmona, Nizar <nbelmona@cscgroup.com<mailto:nbelmona@cscgroup.com>>
wrote:
Thanks Rainer and Daniel.
Sorry for the confusion and please let me clarify.

We have a web server with Apache 2.2.22 with OpenSSL 0.9.8t, the Apache service launches fine
and the users/developers are able to connect however developers through their code bypass
the Server SSL certificate verification. I am not worried about the client certificate validation
since we are not using it,  all the concern is we need to stop users bypassing the Server
SSL verification who are claiming they have to bypass it since the certificate name doesn’t
match the server name in the link being called. Kindly note that configuration in hhtpd.conf
is:

​You can't stop them unless you control the client.  You only control the server. The only
thing you could do is provide a better certificate.
​