httpd-users mailing list archives

From Eric Covener <cove...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] <VirtualHost> matches when ServerName directive is omitted
Date Sat, 23 Jun 2018 15:28:12 GMT
On Sat, Jun 23, 2018 at 11:22 AM billy noah <billynoah@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am in the process of migrating some sites from a server running Apache 2.4.7 to a new
installation (Ubuntu 18) running Apache 2.4.29 and running into some issues with VirtualHost
matching.

> On my old server I have a config like this:
>
> <VirtualHost 12.34.56.78:80>
>     ServerAlias *.dev.example.com
>     VirtualDocumentRoot /var/www/dev/%1
> </VirtualHost>
>
> <VirtualHost 12.34.56.78:80>
>     ServerName example.com
>     ServerAlias www.example.com
>     DocumentRoot /var/www/example/
> </VirtualHost>
>
> As you can see, the ServerName directive is intentionally absent from the first host
which uses a VirtualDocumentRoot to serve directories based on the subdomain. This has been
working fine on the old server.

It's unwise. You should at least pick some nonsense name.

> In my new environment everything worked fine at first, but today (no updates, nothing
changed), oddly things changed. For some reason apache started matching example.com to the
first vhost and after some amount of debugging I have determined that this is due to the lack
of ServerName directive. When I add one - anything really - the problem goes away. So to be
clear, a working config now looks like this:

> <VirtualHost 12.34.56.78:80>
>     ServerName anything.dev.example.com
>     ServerAlias *.dev.example.com
>     VirtualDocumentRoot /var/www/dev/%1
> </VirtualHost>
>
> <VirtualHost 12.34.56.78:80>
>     ServerName example.com
>     ServerAlias www.example.com
>     DocumentRoot /var/www/example/
> </VirtualHost>

Perhaps the reverse DNS of your IP address changed?  I don't think
it's directly the "system hostname".