httpd-users mailing list archives

From Miles Fidelman <mfidel...@meetinghouse.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Implementing REST API
Date Mon, 20 Aug 2018 00:21:34 GMT
On 8/19/18 5:48 PM, Danesh Daroui wrote:

> Hello all!
>
> I hope that I am posing my question to a relevant mailing list!
>
> I am looking for a solution to implement a RESTful API server. I have
> tested and examined a bunch of solution and now I think the best
> solution is to use a trustworthy, reliable, and robust implementation
> of HTTP protocol such as Apache httpd as HTTP server as base and then
> add my API handlers for REST commands. I am still looking at Apache
> httpd's source code and doesn't really know what is the best way to
> implement a RESTful API that would receive GET/POST/PUT/DELETE, etc.
> commands with appropriate parameters and then send the results.
>
> I am wondering if there is a standard way or similar project that
> somebody else has done? If not, what would be the best way to
> implement this? Should I add a new module that handles RESTful APIs or
> hack into the code and generate the response base on my API when a
> HTTP command is received and send it through httpd?

Generally, one would vector the URL to a script that would parse the
full set of HTTP headers, and act accordingly.  Take a look at the
documentation for how Apache's CGI interface works.  You might try
looking around for an apache-based implementation of the Atom Publishing
Protocol for an example.

Miles Fidelman

In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra