httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jim Albert <...@netrition.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache SSL cerificates
Date Thu, 13 Sep 2018 12:54:17 GMT
On 9/13/2018 8:27 AM, Vandana Sakamuri wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I compile Apache on one server and install the same on multiple
> servers in different domains. I am currently working on moving from
> HTTP to HTTPS. Can someone help me on what sort of SSL certificate I
> need to include so that it works on all the domains. Is a wildcard
> certificate needed in this situation or a single public SSL
> certificate be enough.
>
> Thanks!

You can use an SSL wildcard certificate for all hosts within a single
domain or an SSL certificate with Alternate Name extensions for a single
certificate to cover multiple domains. Public CAs will charge more for
either of these types of certificates vs a certificate to cover a single
non-wildcard CN, but it is less expensive than a separate certificate
for each domain. Wildcard certificates will have a set price while
Alternate Name extension certificates are usually priced by the number
of extensions.

Jim