httpd-users mailing list archives

From Eric Covener <cove...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Reverse Proxy for Web Application (or adding it as extension to Apache web server)
Date Sun, 09 Sep 2018 01:49:11 GMT
On Sat, Sep 8, 2018 at 9:37 PM Osman Zakir <osmanzakir90@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I already attached the code in an earlier message.  If you want to know what my application
does and what the server I wrote is doing, please read the code.  I also explained it in comments
in the code, including at the very top of the C++ and JavaScript files.

That's asking a lot.

> What I copied over were the HTML, CSS, JavaScript and .exe files, as well as some other
files required for the application that Visual Studio created (currency_converter.ipbd, currency_converter.iobj,
currency_converter.pdb), when I compiled and linked under the Release build configuration.

Did you disable the reverse proxy config?  I'm surprised you "only"
had environment variable problems.  Or did it not work at all and this
is just an unnecessary tangent?

> If I go back to the reverse proxy route, I'd have to take out the environment variables
I guess.
This relationship doesn't make sense.  If you had no proxy, you'd set
environment variables your backend server could see.  Adding a reverse
proxy doesn't change anything.

>(unless there's a way to hide the Google Maps API Key and the currency API Access Key
that I can use with a reverse proxy in Apache, so that I don't have put the keys in there
directly--is there something like this?).

Hide from who?

> Either way, I do still need to know how to configure the vhosts configuration file (and
the reverse proxy configuration in the httpd.conf file if I do go back to that--which I think
I'll have to) so that when I navigate to the virtual host in the browser, I'll see the application
I made.

If you have a working backend service, and you put the bog-standard
Apache reverse proxy in front of it, what specifically in terms of the
request or response isn't working?
Putting a reverse proxy in front of a backend service that doesn't
work isn't going to make it start working.