httpd-users mailing list archives

From Osman Zakir <osmanzaki...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Reverse Proxy for Web Application (or adding it as extension to Apache web server)
Date Sun, 09 Sep 2018 00:13:05 GMT
I put the files for my app that I wanted to be served behind a reverse proxy into Apache's
document root instead to have them served that way (is this a good idea?  Can Apache start
the server as an extension like this?).  I've put the PassEnv directive into httpd.conv, once
each for the environment variables I have, but I still get an invalid Google Maps API Key
error.  Did I do it wrong?  I'm attaching the httpd.conf file here again.  I'm also attaching
the vhosts configuration file, so please let me if I have that done correctly (the file itself,
I mean).

I've set the environment variables via the Control Panel, by going to Control Panel->System
and Security->System and then clicking on "Advanced system settings" on the left-hand side
(I'm using Windows 10), which brings up a window where I can set system-wide environment variables.
 So I need to how and where to use PassEnv so that it'd pass those environment variables into
the server application.

________________________________
From: Eric Covener <covener@gmail.com>
Sent: Saturday, September 8, 2018 9:34:37 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Reverse Proxy for Web Application (or adding it as extension to
Apache web server)

> For instance, do I really need to add a balancer set when I really only have one web
server I need to do this for?

No.

> And I need an email address for the server that I know I'll be able to get emails on,
but I don't have a host name aside from the one I'm setting up a virtual host for (and that
host name doesn't exist outside of being a virtual host).

What does an email address have to do with HTTP servers?

 I'm confident only in using the same email address as the one for
this Outlook account.

> I also need to know where to add the ProxyPass directive if I do have to set up a reverse
proxy.
You can simply append it to httpd.conf if you don't want to restrict
it to a particular incoming virtual host. If you do, use that context
instead.

> And do I also need the ProxyPassReverse directive along with that?
Typically yes.

> In my C++ source file, I have two environment variables for the API keys that it needs
to work correctly; since it's a Google Maps application with a currency conversion form on
it, it needs a Google Maps API Key and an Access Key for the currency API.  On lines 130 and
133, I use std::getenv() to get the values in the environment variables.  So also need to
know how to make that work in Apache.

Apache can't pass environment variables to a backend proxied server
and doesn't start your backend server.  What do you want Apache to do
here?