httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jeff Cauhape <jpcauh...@detr.nv.gov>
Subject [users@httpd] Stupid question time - VirtualHost
Date Sat, 02 Feb 2019 00:02:28 GMT
My usage of Apache has been pretty plain vanilla, and now I am required to
add a virtual host to a system, and I'm wondering what doing wrong. My hunch
is that it's obvious to others.

I am using Apache 2.4.6 as reported by httpd -v

In my httpd.conf file I have:
Listen web1e.detr.nv:80
Listen web1e.detr.nv:280
and
<VirtualHost _default_:280>
        ServerName survey.nvdetr.org
        UseCanonicalName Off
        DocumentRoot "/var/www/html/survey/"
        ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "/var/www/cig-bin/survey/cgi-bin/"
</VirtualHost>

Question: Isn't it true that I must have a Listen directive for each VirtualHost?

However, if I try to start the apache server configured like this I get an error message that
the port 8090 (or any other number I choose) is already in use and not available. This causes
apache to fail to start.

# lsof -I :280

and

# netstat -ltnp

Do not show the port in use by anything. I can change the port number to anything I choose
and the results are the same. This suggests to me that the problem is in apache config somewhere.

If I comment out the Listen director for the VirtualHost, I don't get the error, but I don't
see any
process listening on the port either.

Ideas? Suggestions?

Jeffrey Cauhape - IT Professional III - Linux and Solaris Administrator
Nevada Department of Employment, Training and Rehabilitation
(775) 684-3804 (office)     jpcauhape@detr.nv.gov<mailto:jpcauhape@detr.nv.gov>