httpd-users mailing list archives

From Hajo Locke <Hajo.Lo...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] ssl stapling error - sectigo
Date Thu, 25 Apr 2019 09:43:42 GMT
Hello,

Am 25.04.2019 um 09:51 schrieb Stefan Eissing:

>> Am 24.04.2019 um 16:22 schrieb Hajo Locke <Hajo.Locke@gmx.de>:
>>
>> Hello List,
>>
>> Apache is 2.4.39, System is Ubuntu 18.04 and 16.04
>>
>> since yesterday evening we have massive mod_ssl problems with ssl stapling:
>>
>> Apr 24 11:20:59 myhostname apache2[16094]: [ssl:error] [pid 16094]
>> AH01941: stapling_renew_response: responder error
>>
>> We had complaints about slow webpages, this forced us to deactivate
>> stapling on all our servers.
> Sorry to hear that.
>
>> Affected are certificates of sectigo (previously comodo) with ocsp-url
>> http://ocsp.sectigo.com
>> I cant confirm for other providers, we use comodo/sectigo the most.
>>
>> But it seems there is no basic problem on our system/network because i
>> can manually confirm ocsp status with openssl on affected machines:
>>
>> # openssl ocsp -issuer bundle -cert crt -url http://ocsp.sectigo.com
>> WARNING: no nonce in response
>> Response verify OK
>> crt: good
>>          This Update: Apr 22 12:46:48 2019 GMT
>>          Next Update: Apr 26 12:46:48 2019 GMT
>>
>> I try to figure out on which side problem is. We use basic sslstapling
>> directives in /etc/apache2/mods-enabled/ssl.conf
>> this is unchanged for months
>>
>> SSLUseStapling On
>> SSLStaplingCache shmcb:${APACHE_RUN_DIR}/ssl_stapling(2560000)
>> SSLStaplingResponderTimeout 5
>> SSLStaplingReturnResponderErrors off
>>
>> Is there somebody who can confirm this behaviour and explain what happens?
> AFIK, there have been no (intentional) changes regarding OCSP stapling in recent versions.
Are you doing the openssl test on the same machine that the affected servers run?

Yes, same server. Apachelog produces the stapling errors, manually
confirmation with openssl works.
Today it seems the problems are over, but we are afraid of reenabling it.
Main problem vor websiteowner/visitors  is a significat noticable delay
when requesting a site. I think the ocsp stapling process is included in
requestprocess and lags the whole process if ocsp url is not acting like
expected.
Unfortunately i have no technical contact at sectigo who could
reestablish my trust into ssl-stapling.

> - Stefan

Thanks,
Hajo