httpd-users mailing list archives

From Niranjan Rao <nhr...@gmail.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Recommended best practices or guides
Date Tue, 29 Sep 2020 14:33:37 GMT
Greeting,

On Ubuntu 18.04, Apache version 2.4.29, all packages installed from
standard repositories and no customization.

We have a need to allow certain group of people to perform operations
such as start/stop/reload etc. Traditionally these operations are
performed using sudo command e.g. sudo service apache2 start. These
people don't need full sudo permissions. All they need is apache related
permissions. We can tinker with an entry in sudoers.d and grant required
permissions - but permissions need to be granted to "service" command

Root problem I am trying to solve is dynamically managing instance from
Amazon ec2 and adding/removing it from traffic. Right now we have a list
of balancer members and this list needs to managed. This is QA related
activity where we start/stop instance as per need using bunch of
scripts. Since IP address keeps changing, we have to manage balancer
configuration. We have not yet got around automating balancer manager
operations and looking for easier way out.

Are there any recommended best practices or guides to allow these kinds
of granular permissions? My searches so far has revealed commands using
sudo.

Regards,

Niranjan