httpd-users mailing list archives

From James Smith <...@sanger.ac.uk>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Some questions about configuration Apache from a beginer. [EXT]
Date Sat, 05 Sep 2020 21:13:57 GMT
The first one doesn’t matter – but to be honest you shouldn’t do it – you should create
two configurations – one for the www.domain and one for domain. Choose one as canonical
(the one you really want users to see) and put the real configuration here.

Under the other domain – you include a rewrite rule to redirect to the canonical one…

<VirtualHost *:443>
  ServerName    mydomain.com
  ServerAlias   myotherdomain.com
  ServerAlias   www. myotherdomain.com
  Include       conf/ssl-conf/mydomain.com.conf
  RewriteEngine on
  RewriteRule   (.*) https://www.mydomain.com/ $1 [R,L,NE]
</VirtualHost>

Now which use as the canonical domain is up to you….

There are arguments for both – there is trend to remove the WWW, but if you have multiple
domains on the same server (we have around 120 at work for a front end proxy) – you can
set the www.domain1.com<http://www.domain1.com>, www.domain2.com<http://www.domain2.com>,
www.domain3.com<http://www.domain3.com> to be CNAMEs in DNS so if you have to quickly
move to another IP address you can just update the A record for the hostname the CNAMEs point
to (for example if the primary machine fell over and you couldn’t get it back up and running)…
If you use the unqualified domain domain1.com,  domain2.com etc you would have to change each
A record separately.

Now - there are three real reasons for using ServerAlias in my mind:

  *   Having a common code base across a different number of sites – which uses the URL
of the request to determine a configuration – and consequently run different versions of
the site….
  *   You have multiple aliases for a domain so you can use ServerAlias to redirect them to
the canonical domain (see above)
  *   You have live, staging, dev and sandbox servers as part of the production cycle, so
you set the ServerName to the URL of the live server and the staging/dev/sandbox URLs as ServerAlias
– then you can use the same configuration on each of the servers {with a little bit of environment
variable fudging to set root paths for the apache}

<VirtualHost *:443>
  ServerName    www.mydomain.com
  ServerAlias   dev.mydomain.com
  ServerAlias   test.mydomain.com
  ServerAlias   my-sandbox-server.mydomain.com
  ServerAlias   freds-sandbox-server.mydomain.com
  Include       conf/ssl-conf/mydomain.com.conf

  … configuration …
</VirtualHost>