httpd-users mailing list archives

From Gabriele Bulfon <gbul...@sonicle.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Self built httpd 2.4.43 problems
Date Mon, 30 Nov 2020 14:08:30 GMT
Is there any way I can provoke a core dump from the httpd threads when the freeze happens?
I tried using truss (strace solaris like) but nothing was moving on the httpd processes.
Analyzing server-status I see nothing strange, and then it sill happens every 7-10 days...

Gabriele

Sonicle S.r.l. : http://www.sonicle.com
Music: http://www.gabrielebulfon.com
eXoplanets : https://gabrielebulfon.bandcamp.com/album/exoplanets

Da: Rainer Canavan <rainer.canavan@avenga.com>
A: users@httpd.apache.org
Data: 2 novembre 2020 17.19.27 CET
Oggetto: Re: [users@httpd] Self built httpd 2.4.43 problems

On Mon, Nov 2, 2020 at 4:17 PM Gabriele Bulfon
<gbulfon@sonicle.com.invalid> wrote:

> Thanks, I configured and ran server-status after stopping/starting apache.
> Top output is:

[...]

> What should I check?
> Also, when system blocks I won't be able to see server-status, as it will be not responding.
> Should I check it daily and look for a specific info that grows?

"requests currently being processed" would probably increase if
threads are permanently blocked. I would recommend logging this every
few seconds, so that you can at least check after the fact how quickly
the system filled up.

You should have ExtendedStatus enabled, which should give you a
complete list of all threads and their states. Any that are active
(probably "W", definitively not "." or "_") processing a single
request for extended periods are suspicious, especially if multiple of
the same kind strat piling up.

If httpd does not respond to requests anymore, and you have multiple
worker childs, you can sometimes get away with killing one and try to
squeeze a status request in there before it gets overrun again.

Anyway, serverstatus will only provide rough hints of what's going on.
If it is indeed httpd, you'll probably need gdb backtraces.

rainer