httpd-users mailing list archives

From James Smith <...@sanger.ac.uk>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] apache tuning for 1500/2000 concurrent connections [EXT]
Date Sun, 15 Nov 2020 19:11:25 GMT
It's not clear why you would need to serve that many "concurrent" connections, a bit more information
would be required.

 * What is your dynamic content being generated by, is it running inside apache, or is it
running on it's own "server" and being to proxied by Apache?
 * Is content mainly static or dynamic?
 * Is the database a large number of small entries, or a smaller number of large entries?
 * Is it nearly all reads or contains lots of writes as well?
 * Are both the MySQL and the database on the same server?

My gut feeling (and experience) would suggest that you would almost certainly come into issues
trying to put that workload on a single server, you can tune to a certain extent but then
you will get to the limits of the server.

Have you done any benchmarking on your current set up - using something like Apache Bench
or Siege? How many concurrent connections can it handle?

James

-----Original Message-----
From: Massimo Iovino <massimo.iovino@gmail.com>
Sent: 14 November 2020 09:35
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: [users@httpd] apache tuning for 1500/2000 concurrent connections [EXT]

Hello everyone. I need to configure Apache 2.4 mpm-prefork (or I don't know if mpm-worker
is better) for about 1500/2000 concurrent connections (even up to 4000). These are the characteristics
of the server: Server
Version: Apache / 2.4.46 MPM server: prefork Server: 12-core Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-8700 CPU
@ 3.20GHz Speed: 800.000 MHz Cache: 12288 KB
Memory: 128GB RDBMS: mySQL 5.7 Can anyone give me some advice on how to configure Apache?
Do you have to do anything in particular about the mySQL configuration? Thanks a lot to everyone
Massimo

 The Wellcome Sanger Institute is operated by Genome Research