ibatis-dev mailing list archives

From Ted Husted <hus...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Website setup
Date Tue, 07 Dec 2004 11:40:03 GMT
On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 19:37:54 -0700, Clinton Begin wrote:
> Is the SVN repository set up?  I checked a week ago, and it seemed
> that the ibatis folder hadn't been created yet.

It's a chicken and egg scenario. If we want to preserve the history for ibatisdb, we need
the CVS tarball to create the repository. When we are ready to do this, we can park the tarball
in one of our user directories and create a JIRA ticket for infrastructure.

(If anyone wants to join infrastructure, they are always looking for volunteers with sysop
skills. As soon as I get a couple of things off my plate, I'll be volunteering myself.)

When the ibatisdb CVS is migrated, we can merge ibatisnet. Since ibatisnet is already under
SVN, it's an easier task.

> Thanks Ted.  How do we all gain access to update the site?

The actual updates can be done using scp, just like we do for SourceForge. The site is located
at cvs.apache.org under /www/incubator.apache.org/ibatis/site

So, if you were using PuTTY, from a command line, you'd enter

  >pscp -r *.* ${user}@cvs.apache.org://www/incubator.apachel.org/ibatis/site

from the root of the built site.

There's also a way to just check it into the repository and have the transfer take place automatically,
but we need our repository setup for that.

The site itself is under Forrest 0.6 <forrest.apache.org>. Forrest is a Cocoon application.
You can edit the XML files and run "forrest" from the command prompt, and it builds the site.

Since our Apache SVN is not setup, I've been posting it to our repository at wush.net. It's
very easy to setup accounts there, if anyone wants one. Might also be a good opportunity to
take the SVN tools for a spin.

> As for JPetStore, yes, I think we should make it an official iBATIS
> product (defacto example).  We'll standardize it more (Brandon has
> a good start already) and put it in a separate folder under
> ibatis/java/examples or something like that.

Do we care much about the CVS history for JPetstore? Or can we just import JPetstore4 into
SVN and go from there?

As to structure, I'd go ahead and call the JPetstore, the JPetstore, and put it on equal footing
with core, dao, and the docs:

java

 ./core
  ../trunk
  ../branches
  ../tags

 ./dao
  ../trunk

 ./jpetstore     <--- ***
  ../trunk

 ./site (documentation)
  ../trunk

/cs
 {ditto, except npetshop}

Or maybe

/java
/cs
/site

if we want a single website deployment, as we have now.

In Struts, we're going to try giving each subproject it's own release cycle, and then combining
them into Linux-style distributions.

So, Struts 1.3.0 might aggregate
 - core 1.0.6
 - tags 1.0.1
 - extras 1.0.0
 - site 1.0.3

Then, if there is a new tags release, but everything else remains the same, Struts 1.3.1 might
aggregate
 - core 1.0.6
 - tags 1.0.2       <-- only change
 - extras 1.0.0
 - site 1.0.3

Essentially, iBATIS is already doing something like this. The Java documentation package distributed
in June has "carried over" to the subsequent releases. Likewise, iBATIS.NET has separate releases
of the core, npetstop, tutorial, and documentation. All that's left to do is zip the four
GAs into a single iBATIS.NET 1.0.0 download.

-Ted.