ibatis-dev mailing list archives

From Clinton Begin <clinton.be...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Subversion and a few other Qs
Date Tue, 11 Jan 2005 16:37:30 GMT
Great thoughts Ted.

As Ted said, with SVN the global revision number makes tagging less
important.  But it's always nice to have a description for major
milestone revisions.  That said, I've sucked at keeping good tags in
iBATIS CVS (sorry), so I look forward to SVNs global numbering.

Branches are something that I've stayed away from.  They can always be
created later, but for the most part they're more useful for distinct,
parallel development. It may be something we need more, once we grow
another order of magnitude.

On the Java side we alternate feature and bug releases more to deal
with prioritization and clarity.  For a while, we were giving more
priority to bugs than features (which isn't always right).  So
features were falling behind schedule.  This way, we don't have to
feel bad about leaving a bug in, because we know we're on a feature
release.  This approach gives users a choice too.  If you want to
always be on the most stable release, stick to the bug-fix releases.
If you're impatient and want the features, go with the feature
releases.  It seems to be working well to help us focus on what needs
to be done.

As for your other question (ibatis.net), eventually ibatis domains
will become less important than the Apache domain.  But I have
ibatis.com, ibatis.net and ibatis.org, just to protect the name.

Cheers,
Clinton

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 05:59:29 -0500, Ted Husted <husted@apache.org> wrote:
> In Subversion, a tag can be promoted to a branch. With the way the global revisions works,
tagging doesn't seem as important as it was with CVS, but it still seems like a good practice
to follow.

> Generally, you only need to branch when you
>
> * Need to fix something between scheduled releases
> * Want to experiment with a revolutionary line of development.
>
> The Java team is alternating odd and even releases, for bug-fixes and features, but I
don't know if we need to adopt that practice for the C# code base.