ibatis-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Benedict <paul4chris...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Does JDBC 4.0 make iBATIS redundant?
Date Sat, 05 Aug 2006 03:50:53 GMT
I saw some JDBC 4.0 and it does not make ibatis obsolete. For instance, annotations are not
inheritable but you can extend sqlmaps. Also there will always be a need for XML configuration
because not everyone wants their mappings statically-linked into their code; it is impossible
to change without recompiling. Furthermore, the churn for turnaround in Sun is slow because
the JCP is a snail -- you guys can provide more enhancements and releases than the JDK ever
could. No worries here.

Paul

Clinton Begin <clinton.begin@gmail.com> wrote: Hi all,

I just picked this up from InfoQ.  What do you think?
=====================
Blogger Patrick Lightbody noted "I could see JDBC 4.0 replacing my need for iBatis" after
reading another blog post on JDBC 4.0 functionality. JDBC 4.0 includes basic O/R mapper functionality
that eases the repetitive task of copying ResultSet data into objects. It does not handle
inheritance or table relations however.

http://www.infoq.com/news/Easier-Database-Development-JDBC
Patrick's a good guy and a respected developer.  I appreciate his opinion.  Obviously, this
is only useful for people running JDK 5 or possibly only JDK 6.  And of course, Annotation
support would be an almost brainless effort to implement for iBATIS.
               Your thoughts?

Clinton

See the all-new, redesigned Yahoo.com.  Check it out.