ibatis-user-cs mailing list archives

From "Rogelio Baucells" <rbauce...@investran.com>
Subject Auditing capabilities on top of IBatis
Date Mon, 14 Aug 2006 15:35:51 GMT

Hi,

We have the requirement of implementing auditing at the property level
for our object model. We need to audit all changes to public properties
and persist the auditing information at the time the entity is been
saved. We are evaluating IBatis for such task as the persistence layer
and we have a prototype already working. We had to modify some parts of
IBatis to acomplish this task:

1- We need to modify the way objects are created, for that we created
our own IObjectFactory and returned our own IFactory for the entities we
need to audit. This IFactory creates a dynamic proxy with some extra
functionality needed for the auditing.

We had to modify DomSqlMapBuilder since there is no way to set a custom
IObjectFactory at the time of creating a SqlMapper. I think that it
would be a good enhancement to IBatis having the posibility to specify
your own IObjectFactory and set/get accessors.

2- Another thing we needed was the ability to intercept calls to some
methods in the SqlMap class, the easiest way to accomplish this was
inheriting from the SqlMapper class but the contructor is internal. Also
there is no way to change the way the SqlMapper instance is created
inside DomSqlMapBuilder and in several places in the code classes are
using a reference to the SqlMapper class instead of the ISqlMapper
interface. We finish doing a hack inside our dynamic proxy
implementation of the domain model entities since the change in the
IBatis code was a little more complicated than the one before.

I think the ability to extend/modify IBatis functionality is something
necessary in some cases and it should be built into the main code base.
A functionality similar to the Hibernate interceptors is a good idea or
the possibility to change the default implementation of
accessors/factories and the SqlMapper itself are needed in some cases. I
can work on adding those changes to the main code base if the community
think it is necessary.

Thanks,

RJB

CONFIDENTIALITY: This email (including any attachments) may contain confidential, proprietary
and privileged information, and unauthorized disclosure or use is prohibited. If you received
this email in error, please notify the sender and delete this email from your system. Thank
you.