ibatis-user-cs mailing list archives

From "Carlos Peix" <peix-lis...@praxia.com.ar>
Subject Kind of architecture question
Date Mon, 07 May 2007 21:55:28 GMT
Hi all,

I used IBatis.NET with success in various projects now but I am still not very
happy with my implementations. I'll try to explain my concerns.

My environment is .NET 1.1 but I think .NET 2.0 is the same thing. I should say
that I try to work guided by the DDD principles, so I access the final store
through repositories.

I have, for example, an entity Customer (aggregate root or simply a persistent
identifiable object) and a CustomerRepository with the following interface:

Customer CustomerRepository.GetById( object id );
IList CustomerRepository.GetAll();

and I also have a Order and OrderRepository with the following interface

OrderRepository.GetByNumber( int number );

The problem I face all the time with IBatis is the I get different instances if
I do:

// implemented with a Mapper.QueryForObject( "CustomerById", id );
Customer customer1 = CustomerRepository.GetById( object id );

// implemented with a Mapper.QueryForList( "CustomerAll" );
Customer customer2 = CustomerRepository.GetAll()[0];

// implemented with a Mapper.QueryForObject( "OrderByNumber", number );
// and Customer mapped this way in the OrderResultMap:
//  <result property="customer" column="CustomerId" select="CustomerById" />
Customer customer3 = OrderRepository.GetByNumber( 100 ).Customer;

But customer1.Id, customer2.Id and customer3.Id are the same.

Ok, this is a situation that need to be controlled, otherwise I could modify or
check different instances of the same object. I was told previously that this is
not an IBatis problem and I see why (in fact IBatis doesn't know anything about
object identity, so it can't control this).

The question is: how are you structuring your code to control that situation?
there are some "recommended practices"? I started with some ideas (one of them
include IBatis cache configuration) but I'm not happy with any of them.

Sorry about the long post and thanks in advance.

Carlos Peix