ibatis-user-cs mailing list archives

From "Clough, Samuel \(USPC.PRG.Atlanta\)" <Samuel_Clo...@princetonrg.com>
Subject RE: Kind of architecture question
Date Tue, 08 May 2007 11:46:40 GMT
Not to sound smart or anything, but if you need to ensure that you have
only one ref for each logical object, have you considered NHibernate?
iBatis is designed to work in the way it is working.  It allows you to
write something very similar to a custom DAO without doing all the heavy
lifting.  What you are doing sounds to me like a perfect NHibernate use
case.  NHibernate enforces that only one actual reference exists in the
session for a specific object.

As you've mentioned, you could tweak the iBatis caching but I'm not sure
if that's going to give you want you want completely.

To me iBatis is perfect for a more high-performance, stateless type of
world that I typically work in (although it works in a stateful world as
well).  NHibernate is better suited for that more stateful world.  (This
is not to say that there aren't crossover areas where you can use either
one because there are).

  _____

From: Carlos Peix [mailto:peix-listas@praxia.com.ar]
Sent: Tuesday, May 08, 2007 7:31 AM
To: user-cs@ibatis.apache.org
Subject: Kind of architecture question

Hi Shane,

I heard the "no access to repository from the domain objects" idea but I
can't do that in my daily work, I need to access repository from my
domain. Besides that, I use interfaces for all my repositories and I
maintain the implementation out of the domain model (reflection or DI is
my glue), so I'm OK with that. I just use the service layer to start and
commit transactions.

Regarding if my main concern is an IBatis issue or not, I was told that
IBatis don't want to mess with internal identity maps and I can see why.
It need ton control object identity, concurrency, object context, etc.

I just want to know how the many programmers that use IBatis cope with
that problem.

Thanks

Carlos

  _____