Hi Shane, thanks for taking the time to answer.

Yes, you are talking about an Identity Map I guess, but this solution is harder to implement and tune. It's my last resort though.

Of course, definitely the select="CustomerById" needs to be removed. In fact, the command CustomerById uses a different cache that the command CustomerAll so, if we use cache for both commands we can stop IBatis building different instances.

One approach I used is for resolving this is implementing the CustomerRepository.GetAll() with an IBatis query (cached) and the CustomerRepository.GetById() resolved in memory. But I'm not very happy with this solution either

Of course, the Order ResultMap just get the Customer Id and I resolve the property getter or setter that way.

class Order {

    // This field is mapped in IBatis
    object customerId;

    // this is a transient field
    private Customer customer;

    public Customer Customer
    {
        get {
            if ( customer == null )
                customer = CustomerRepository.GetById( customerId );
            return customer;
        }
        set customerId = value.Id; }
    }