ibatis-user-cs mailing list archives

From "Dustin Aleksiuk" <Dustin.Aleks...@huskyenergy.ca>
Subject Re: memory leak with windows service?
Date Thu, 06 Sep 2007 15:32:19 GMT
Hi Bob,

It's hard to say without looking at your code, but here are some opinions of mine:

1. The GC is extremely intelligent. A memory leak in managed code will be because you still
have a reference somewhere to memory, which the GC can't touch. I believe that 99 times out
of 100 you're making a mistake by forcing the GC to clean up.

2. I bet it's not iBatis, Log4net or spring. Many people (including me) use these every day
with no issues.

3. Make sure you have no static fields or similar things that could be keeping a hold on memory.

Regards,
Dustin

>>> "Bob Hanson" <mnbob70@gmail.com> 9/6/2007 9:26 AM >>>
I don't know if this is even the proper place for me to ask these questions but I'm hoping
others may have had a similar experience and can provide some advice.

I have a Windows Service that runs on a Windows 2000 server. It uses a system timer that triggers
a process to run every 30 minutes.

The process is straight forward, performing 4 separate queries with each returning a list
of objects. Those objects are then used to perform some functionality which involves accessing
remote web services. A majority of the time only 2 of the 4 queries returns any data. iBatis.Net
is used for all database interaction. Log4Net is used for logging. Spring.Net is used during
the object processing.

The problem I am having is that over time the Windows Service is not releasing memory and
eventually the service will throw an out of memory exception and crash. The process is 100%
managed code. How long it takes to run out of memory seems to vary but it generally takes
more than 24 hours if not longer.

I already modified the process to return a list of Ids instead of a list of complete objects.
A list of only 100 ids would be a large list so I'm not dealing with a lot of data. I then
query for a full object on an individual basis using the object id.

I also call the garbage collector directly to try to force memory release.

At this point I don't know what to do as the problem still remains. So I'm wondering if anyone
has seen this kind of memory problem before when using a Windows Service with .NET. Also does
anyone know if I should focus on iBatis, Spring or Log4Net as the possible cause? I've read
about using a .net profiler tool but I have to admit that I have a hard time understanding
how to profile code.

Thanks,
Bob