ibatis-user-cs mailing list archives

From "Clinton Begin" <clinton.be...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Next Release?
Date Fri, 30 May 2008 14:47:38 GMT
Hi Sal,

I'm the lead developer of iBATIS for Java and the original creator of
iBATIS.

I don't think you have anything to worry about, as I believe that iBATIS.NET
has a bright future and will possibly even surpass the success we've seen on
the Java side.  iBATIS for Java has a lot more competition with products
like Hibernate and Spring JDBC as serious competitors.  Furthermore, Java
application best practices are more compatible with typical ORM solutions
like Hibernate.

In the .NET world, there are very few ORM options (NHibernate, LINQ to
SQL...), but more importantly a lot of .NET project consider stored
procedures to be a best practice.  Since day one, iBATIS has supported
stored procedures as a first class feature.  While ORM tools may be
"compatible", they certainly weren't designed with that as a primary goal.
In fact, it doesn't even make a lot of sense to map a representation of
state (a class) to a behavior (a function or procedure).  iBATIS handles
this by design, as a core consideration.

One reason you might not see a lot of activity on the development side for
.NET is that it was more feature rich than iBATIS for Java out of the gate.
Gilles did a great job porting the framework, but also introducing a number
of new features that  iBATIS for Java still doesn't have.  So naturally, for
the last while you've probably only seen bug fixes and the odd feature.

In my opinion, this is a great success of iBATIS.  Our software has survived
the test of time and continues to be chosen over the competition with very
few changes.  We aren't running a race or trying to keep up with any
artificial specifications.  We just continue to do what we do, and do it
well.

That said, both Gilles and I (and the rest of the team) are working on
version 3 of the .NET and Java versions respectively.  With the introduction
of C# 3 and with greater adoption of Java 5 (finally), we are now able to
leverage some of the cool new features they offer.

So worry not.  iBATIS has been around for 6 years now, it's not going
anywhere.  :-)

Cheers,
Clinton