ibatis-user-cs mailing list archives

From Sal Bass <salbass...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Next Release?
Date Fri, 30 May 2008 16:36:11 GMT
Clinton,

I appreciate your response, that's all I needed to hear. Thank you!

Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 08:47:38 -0600From: clinton.begin@gmail.comTo: user-cs@ibatis.apache.orgSubject:
Re: Next Release?Hi Sal,I'm the lead developer of iBATIS for Java and the original creator
of iBATIS.  I don't think you have anything to worry about, as I believe that iBATIS.NET has
a bright future and will possibly even surpass the success we've seen on the Java side.  iBATIS
for Java has a lot more competition with products like Hibernate and Spring JDBC as serious
competitors.  Furthermore, Java application best practices are more compatible with typical
ORM solutions like Hibernate.In the .NET world, there are very few ORM options (NHibernate,
LINQ to SQL...), but more importantly a lot of .NET project consider stored procedures to
be a best practice.  Since day one, iBATIS has supported stored procedures as a first class
feature.  While ORM tools may be "compatible", they certainly weren't designed with that as
a primary goal.  In fact, it doesn't even make a lot of sense to map a representation of state
(a class) to a behavior (a function or procedure).  iBATIS handles this by design, as a core
consideration.One reason you might not see a lot of activity on the development side for .NET
is that it was more feature rich than iBATIS for Java out of the gate.  Gilles did a great
job porting the framework, but also introducing a number of new features that  iBATIS for
Java still doesn't have.  So naturally, for the last while you've probably only seen bug fixes
and the odd feature.  In my opinion, this is a great success of iBATIS.  Our software has
survived the test of time and continues to be chosen over the competition with very few changes.
 We aren't running a race or trying to keep up with any artificial specifications.  We just
continue to do what we do, and do it well.  That said, both Gilles and I (and the rest of
the team) are working on version 3 of the .NET and Java versions respectively.  With the introduction
of C# 3 and with greater adoption of Java 5 (finally), we are now able to leverage some of
the cool new features they offer.  So worry not.  iBATIS has been around for 6 years now,
it's not going anywhere.  :-)Cheers,Clinton