ibatis-user-cs mailing list archives

From "Clough, Samuel \(USPC.PRG.Atlanta\)" <Samuel_Clo...@princetonrg.com>
Subject RE: Pagination
Date Mon, 08 Dec 2008 18:26:42 GMT
The problem here is severe performance issues for large datasets.  Thus,
he needed a count without loading the whole dataset.

-----Original Message-----
From: Juan Pablo Araya [mailto:juanpablo.araya@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, December 08, 2008 1:01 PM
To: user-cs@ibatis.apache.org
Subject: Re: Pagination

As far as I know, if your gridview (or whatever the control you use to
show the results) uses an object datasource that calls a method with
parameters from the textbox or the control(s) for the query, the
gridview control itself can paginate. For example:

<asp:GridView ID="GridViewName" runat="server"
DataSourceID="objectDataSource1" AllowPaging="true" PageSize="20">
</asp:GridView>

<asp:ObjectDataSource ID="objectDataSource1" runat="server"
SelectMethod="TheMethod"
 TypeName="The.Namespace.For.The.Class">
<SelectParameters>

<asp:ControlParameter Name="Parameter1" ControlID="TextBoxControl1"
ConvertEmptyStringToNull="true"
                                Type="Int32" PropertyName="Text" />
<asp:ControlParameter Name="Parameter2" ControlID="DropDownListControl1"
                                Type="Int32"
PropertyName="SelectedValue" />
</SelectParameters>
</asp:ObjectDataSource>

Then, the class The.Namespace.For.The.Class must have a method like
this:

public (List<Something> or DataTable) TheMethod(int Parameter1, int
Parameter2) {
  return  ibatis call for list, or build a datatable based on the ibatis
call
}

Note the "int Parameter1", parsed through a Textbox.Text (string): the
object datasource then try to parse the text to a integer, in the same
way as the dropdownlist ... the important is that the signature of the
method is the same as the name in the controlparameters.

With this, the object datasource calls the method, fill the gridview
and do the pagination based on the results. When you click the "second
page", the object data source calls again the method and fill the GV
based on the results and the page you select. You can forget then the
count and the manual pagination.

Hope this works and sorry for my poor english!

On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 4:14 PM, Jose Selesan <jselesan@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi people. I'm currently working on a web page used to search products
and I
> need to paginate the results. I tryed using QueryForList with
parameters
> SkipResults and MaxResults and works great. Now, I need to know the
total
> results count in order to create a paginator and my question is: do I
need
> to invoke an extra "SELECT COUNT" query to get the total rows count?
Or

--
Juan Pablo Araya

Princeton Retirement Group, Inc - Important Terms
This E-mail is not intended for distribution to, or use by, any person or entity in any location
where such distribution or use would be contrary to law or regulation, or which would subject
Princeton Retirement Group, Inc. or any affiliate to any registration requirement within such
location.
This E-mail may contain privileged or confidential information or may otherwise be protected
by work product immunity or other legal rules. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or
lost by any mistransmission. Access, copying or re-use of information by non-intended or non-authorized
recipients is prohibited. If you are not an intended recipient of this E-mail, please notify
the sender, delete it and do not read, act upon, print, disclose, copy, retain or redistribute
any portion of this E-mail.
The transmission and content of this E-mail cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free.
Therefore, we cannot represent that the information in this E-mail is complete, accurate,
uncorrupted, timely or free of viruses, and Princeton Retirement Group, Inc. cannot accept
any liability for E-mails that have been altered in the course of delivery. Princeton Retirement
Group, Inc. reserves the right to monitor, review and retain all electronic communications,
including E-mail, traveling through its networks and systems (subject to and in accordance
with local laws). If any of your details are incorrect or if you no longer wish to receive
mailings such as this by E-mail please contact the sender by reply E-mail.