ibatis-user-cs mailing list archives

From Iskan Der <alex.v.kise...@gmail.com>
Subject Caching and thread safety
Date Tue, 27 Jan 2009 06:17:57 GMT

Hello, everyone.

Pardon me, if my questions look stupid, but I'm new to iBatis.
So, I'm going to implement my own SiteMapProvider for a tree of categories,
stored in database. Since categories list does not change too often, I
believe that caching would quite useful here.
However, there are some things I would like to clarify:
1. I guess, cache is controlled by an ISqlMapper instance, which was used
for retrieving entities from DB. So, having once obtained that instance, I
should keep it for the whole application lifetime (probably, using some kind
of a singleton), right?
2. ISqlMapper instance members do not seem to be thread-safe. So, if I have
single ISqlMapper to control the cache, I need to call all its methods
inside lock(...) { } blocks. However, I don't like that many locks in my
code. Maybe someone knows more elegant solution?

Anyway, if anyone has experience in implementing similar things, please
share your thoughts. Thanks in advance.