ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From "Darek Dober" <doover...@op.pl>
Subject struts vs ibatis - Integer type
Date Tue, 03 May 2005 04:07:47 GMT
Hi,

I hava a table  'users' with column dept_id (id of department in departments table)

This column is optional. That means the operator doesn't have to assign inserted user to any
department.

If I have bean:

public class UserBean {
    Integer departmentId;

}

struts will make automatic conversion of type. So departmentId will be set to 0, if I don't
set any of department. That's a cheat, because,  I don't want to to have a
department with id equals to 0, it should be NULL.

On the other hand, when I implement departmentId as String, struts act correctly. But while
inserting record to the database, I get an error sth like this:
database column dept_id is type of bigint, inserted value is type of varchar.

I have the solution: departmentId is type of String, but for ibatis I have the other metod
getDepartmentIdAsInteger which return Integer or null if value is empty.
It works, but i don't like this.

Is there any cleaner solution for this. I looked into jpetstore, but there were columns of
type varchar. Rest of them was mendatory.
I cannot use columns of type varchar as foreign keys.

Usage:
VALUES(
     #departmentId:INTEGER#,

doesn't help if departmentId is String