ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From "Jeff Butler" <jeffgbut...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Warnings at queryForList
Date Fri, 07 Apr 2006 19:28:31 GMT
<snip>
On a side note to the ibatis devs, what's the road map for having ibatis
query methods return type-specific collections? Will you ever do so (since
that would break backwards compatibility, right?)?
</snip>

It's not just a backwards compatibility problem...

The problem with iBATIS returning type specific collections is that iBATIS
has no way of knowing that the type should be when it's compiled - the type
is dependant on what you've configured and it changes at runtime.  So I
think the best iBATIS could do would be to return List<Object> - basically
the same thing it does now.

You can always cast to the proper parameterized type in your DAO method and
do the warning suppress (just like you can do now).  Maybe I'm missing
something fundamental, but I don't see a way for it to be better than that.

Isn't it all just syntax sugar anyway? :-)

Jeff Butler